Table of Contents
- 1 Western Union Review
- 2 About Western Union
- 3 How Does It Work?
- 4 Transfer Fees
- 5 Exchange Rates
- 6 Who Should Be Using Western Union?
- 7 PROS
- 8 CONS
- 9 FAQs
Western Union Review
Gone are the days when people used to struggle a lot while sending money to their relatives and friends abroad. With the arrival of the Internet and modern international money transfer services, one can send money to any country within a few minutes without making much effort. One of the popular and trusted international money transfer services is Western Union. It’s the oldest and still the most sought-after money transfer service among international businesses, customers, and families to transfer funds across almost every country.
About Western Union
The company was founded in 1851 when money used to be sent on horseback. Since then, the company has expanded its operations to multiple countries with the best possible technologies, features, and ways to make it better with each passing day. Now, the company is successfully operating in more than 200 countries all across the world.
The good part of using Western Union is that customers and businesses can transfer money in over 125 currencies via different types of payment modes, including credit cards, debit cards, bank accounts, wire transfers, etc. In fact, the brand is also known for it’s cash transfers via it’s rich network of agents in almost 200 countries. All you need to do is to visit any of the Western Union branches to transfer money to any country within a few minutes.
How Does It Work?
Western Union allows you to transfer money through various payment modes and currency options. However, to transfer the money one has to follow the laid process.
- First off, visit the official website, www.westernunion.com, via desktop, laptop, or mobile phone, and select the option, Send Money.
- Secondly, you need to pick the country to which you are willing to send money. You can get a list of over 200 countries.
- Thirdly, you need to enter the amount that you are willing to send to the person in that particular country. Also, you need to select the currency that they are going to receive in their country.
- Fourthly, you have to pick the option of receiving the payment. The option is many such as bank transfer, via agent, wallet, etc.
- Fifthly, you have to check the amount that you need to pay for the transfer as a fee. However, if you will choose the bank transfer option then it will be cheaper than other options available.
- To proceed further, you will be asked to log in to your account.
- Now you need to fill in the details of the recipient, including name, contact number, address, etc. In case, you are making a bank transfer then furnish their bank details.
- Now you need to pay for making the transfer happen. You can pick any mode of payment such as credit/debit card, bank account, etc.
- In case, you opt to pay in cash then make sure to carry a photo ID proof to the branch while paying the transfer amount.
Types of Payment Methods & Conditions While Transferring Money
- There are different payment methods to choose from such as bank account, debit card, credit card, transfer, etc
- The amount of money that you can send entirely depends upon your history with Western Union and the country you are transferring to. It also depends upon the mode of payment you are choosing for the transfer.
- The daily limit for almost every transfer via app or website is $2.,999. However, for the next-day transfers, the limit is $500.
- However, if someone is choosing an option of transfer in-person at the branch in any country, there’s no limit as such. But, some countries may limit the amount of money a person is receiving a day.
- If you are an ardent phone user and love to transfer money via phone app then the limit ranges between $300 and $2500 a day.
The transfer fees vary from country to country and transfer to transfer. However, broadly it charges:
- $3.50 to $100 for all types of transfers depending upon various parameters.
The factors that decide the transfer fees are:
- Location: Every country has it’s own policies to receive funds. Hence, it’s a major deciding factor for transfer fees.
- Payment method: It depends upon the payment method you are choosing. There are various payment methods such as credit card, account transfer, in-person at the branch, etc.
- Receiving method: If the recipient is willing to pick in cash then if will be more expensive than other options.
- If someone is transferring within the US then it’s going to be approximately $14. However, the cash pickup will cost around $20
Here, the brand seems quite expensive. It’s exchange rates are pretty high and companies have handsome margins on their exchange rate markup. At times, customers have to pay over 20% in different fees followed by the exchange rate difference.
The major deciding factors are the country and the amount of money you are sending. However, it’s still higher than it’s competitors.
While sending money to developed countries, customers will find favorable exchange rates. However, it’s totally opposite when sending money to developing or underdeveloped or remote countries.
Who Should Be Using Western Union?
If you are someone who wants reliability and security while transferring money to different countries then you must pick Western Union.
If you are someone who deals in small transactions and always looks for multiple payments and transfer methods then you should pick Western Union.
If you are someone who wants to transfer in cash then you should pick Western Union.
However, if you don’t seek instant transfers and pay much in fees then you look for other options.
- A reputed and the oldest brand
- Pretty upfront and transparent towards transfer fees and charges
- Bank-to-bank transfers have nominal fees
- User-friendly app and website
- Multiple methods of payments
- Different modes of transfer funds
- Debit/credit card transfers can reach the recipient within 2 days
- Gigantic network of Western Union agents in different countries
- Exchange rate is quite expensive
- Some transfers come up with hefty fees
- Daily transfer limits are lower than other transfer services
How to contact its customer support?
One can contact the team via live chat, phone, or post.
How long does it hold money?
It holds money for maximum of 90 days. After 90 days, one has to reach out to customer care for further help.
How quick is Western Union?
It offers various options to transfer money.
One can choose from:
- In minutes
- Next day
- Three day
How safe is Western Union?
It is a licensed company and uses advanced encryption methods to safeguard your personal data and money online. If someone is making an offline transfer then it asks for a valid photo ID. The company uses technology-driven methods to enhance the security of its website and app.
Does it come with an App?
Yes, one can download the official app via PlayStore or AppStore. The app is very user-friendly and comes with all the relevant features to initiate the transfers.